Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Five Helpful Tools for the Math Classroom

I am always on the lookout for really cool internet applications that I can use in math. If you know of others, please comment.

Equation Editor

You might notice that I have added an equation editor to the sidebar of my blog. Click on the format of the equation needed, make a few modifications and you have a very nice looking math equation. Normally, I use MathType on my own computer with MS Word. However, MathType is not free and not available in the cloud. Thus, when working on internet based computers, other options have to be utilized. I wouldn't want to have to type a whole worksheet using this gadget, but it isn't bad for one or two equations to use in a presentation.

Flash Cards

I am a big fan of Quizlet for vocabulary flash cards. I previously wrote about quizlet here. Quizlet is great for learning vocabulary. It is wonderful for differentiating instruction with minimal effort on the part of the teacher. This summer students in a PSAT Prep class typed in 16 word lists with definitions of 25 words each in under an hour. Afterward, they were instructed to concentrate on learning the first list. It was fun to watch students make their choice on how to learn. Some of them reviewed the flash cards electronically. Many of them played one of the two games available on quizlet. Several others practiced the words by taking a quizlet generated test. A few chose to learn the old fashioned way by creating index cards for their words or by studying the list on paper.

Students often are required to memorize many formulas in math as well as trigonometric identities. I wasn't able to figure out how to get quizlet to handle a math formula. Then I discovered another flashcard application called Cobo Cards that uses Tex to make beautiful flash cards with equations. Once I learned how to copy and paste the Tex commands into Cobo Cards, writing equations was a breeze. Click here to see my set of trigonometric identity cards.

Graphs

Math teachers use many graphs on their tests and worksheets. Students, too, need to be able to use internet based graphing options if they are to create presentations. My twitter friend @JackieB introduced me to Graphsketch shown at the left.



Another option for creating graphs would be to utilize the computational knowledge engine at WolframAlpha. I typed in an expression, then used Photo Filtre to copy it and save as a jpeg. It does not have the grid lines like graphsketch, but it is very well done.




Animoto


I found the animoto embedded below at http://teachingcollegemath.com/?p=654. I thought it was great and plan to show it to my students once school starts. Hopefully, this will help them understand the concept of a function. Another use for math animotos might be to illustrate a theorem or develop a proof in geometry. Students could create an animoto illustrating the steps of solving an equation. The site mentioned above describes the method for creating the function animoto using PowerPoint slides. I think Google Doc Presentation slides could easily be substituted. Each slide would need to be saved as a jpeg and uploaded to animoto.






Games

One of the best sites for math games is coolmath.com. Here you will find all kinds of games for all levels, elementary to secondary. The games are interactive and just plain fun. Be prepared to lose a few hours while exploring this site.

I hope that you will find these tools useful as well. Please leave me a comment regarding your favorite internet math tool.

5 comments:

  1. Jim, thanks for the tips. I have a couple of comments.

    I like Cobocards too, but when I tried to view yours, they were all blank. Here's a set of mine: http://my.cobocards.com/pub/5957290/

    WRT MathType and online equation editors, you're right that MathType isn't "available in the cloud", but most of the online equation editors produce equations that once posted on the web, you can either copy & paste or drag & drop into MathType 6 and later (both Windows and Mac), and then use just as you would any other MathType equation.

    MathType can also produce LaTeX that you can paste directly into many online forums, wikis, and blogs such as Physics & Math Forum, SOS Math, and many others. If the site you want to post to isn't LaTeX-capable, MathType is able to save a GIF for you to upload and post.

    We have a good number of MathType Tips as well as articles that show how MathType "works with" many apps and websites. http://bit.ly/OuSK8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. I fixed the link to my cobo cards so that you can see them now. I must have copied and pasted the wrong link before. I took a look at your cards. They would also be very helpful for students. We want them to know these as well as they know their multiplication tables.

    I love MathType and knew about the LaTex capability. We have a site license at our high school and are very dependent on it when creating tests, worksheets, and presentations. Right now, our Web on Wheels laptops that we use with students only utilize internet based programs. They don't have MathType on them. Thus, MathType isn't an option for student use unless they use one of our desktops. We are hopeful that we will be able to reimage the laptops and install MathType this fall.

    Incidentally, I saw your screencast on MathDaisy at http://www.teachingcollegemath.com and was extremely impressed. I think it is really cool that you can create a math test and have the computer read it to the student. What a nice feature for visually impaired students.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I love this because I have math teachers who come to WOW! all the time, and if they want advice about their projects, I have a limited repertoire of options to tell them about. This expands it greatly! Thanks Jill. You are awesome, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tools for Maths teachers is actually a boon. It helps greatly in the teaching process and is a whole lot of fun too. Some really good teaching tools are available at Academic Superstore. The prices are really low and they also offer great discounts that even go upto 85%. The coupons are availble at http://coupongrove.com/AcademicSuperstore/. Log on and find a whole new experience in both teaching and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cram (http://www.simpleleap.com/cram.htm) is also a solution as an alternative to Quizlet for those that like studying with flashcards. Cram allows you to prepare for any subject with multiple choice tests and flashcards on the Mac, iPhone, and iPod.

    ReplyDelete